Re: Fuel system changes

Subject: Re: Fuel system changes
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 13:13:08
 <001301c15df7$df99fa00$7b08883e@oemcomputer>
 <3BD9A459.CB8EB0C6@ameritech.net>
 <1004124157.3bd9b7fdc22af@proton.kaon.co.nz>
 <3BD9F497.43EDEC75@ameritech.net>
 <1004146993.3bda11316dfa2@proton.kaon.co.nz>
 <3BDA193A.53D9FFB8@home.com>
 <1004150984.3bda20c8be6a8@proton.kaon.co.nz>

>I dont know exactly what the problem was but I suspect that the original
>fuel lines had become porous as I can see cracking on the ends of the
>pipes. I also fitted pipes without the metal armour to be better able to
>see any weeping in the future.
>
>It was a scary experience and I am putting the clear plastic pipe check
>for air in my 100 hpur check list.
>Barry Tennant
>D-EHBT

Barry,

I think your suspicion is correct. If there is a small leak on the suction
side of a fuel pump it will suck air in and this displaces fuel with  air
which then expands under the reduced pressure in the pipes. Leaving even
less room for fuel. We had a similar occurrence on a cold day. Took ages to
diagnose, we thought it was carb icing, filter blockage, whatever. The
clear pipe test was what solved it for us too.

I doubt if you will see any weeping, it evaporates too quickly. Our leak
was upstream of the electric pump but we never saw any wet fuel. Just the
usual smell of fuel !?! The engine only coughed when fuel content was low,
reduced pressure in the fuel lines exacerbated the problem.

Graham