Re: Fuel system changes

Subject: Re: Fuel system changes
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 09:25:04
It is worth mentioning is that fuel filters and gascolators are the last barrier
to dirt before the fuel gets to your engine. If the fuel was clean then in
theory
you wouldnt need them. And if your fuel tank is full of debry then no matter
what you do there is likely to be trouble sooner or later.

The last aircraft we built never suffered from fuel blockages (in 200 hours of
operation) because we (a) cleaned and flushed the fuel system prior to operation
and (b) made sure all the fuel we used was filtered into the tank (via a simple
funnel/ gauze filter). Yes, we did change the fuel filter regularly too.

We had no problem with water either because we always made sure the tank was
full
of fuel when it was hangared (the main cause of water is due to condensation
within the fuel tank during storage). Incidentally a full tank is much less
of a fire hazard than an empty one !

One worthwhile component that we have added to our fuel system is a fuel
pressure
guage. This enables a check on the state of the fuel delivery system prior
to take off. Any reduction in the fuel pressure indicates the likelyhood of the
filters clogging up, long before it becomes a serious problem. The fuel pressure
sender is connected to a Grand Rapids Technologies EIS and is programmed
to alarm if the pressure drops below a certain value.

Carl P
G-LABS