RE: Fuel system changes

Subject: RE: Fuel system changes
From: Nick Hammond <nick.hammond@saabsystems.com.au>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 08:56:53
Dave,

The fuel drain mod appears to be pretty much what you are intending with the
exception of extension tubes (like those on the vent boss) on the 1/8 NPT
ports to get to the lowest part of the tank. Given the variations in tank
shape and mounting position, I'm not sure this is going to achieve much --
as far as I can calculate the bottom of my tank will be pretty much
horizontal in the normal ground attitude. I have been waiting for over two
months for the mod from Europa (package appears to have gone astray) and am
on the verge of cancelling the order and doing exactly what you describe.

For what it's worth. I'm planning the following:
o    drains as above with a T connector for the sight gauge take off
o    hose from the tank outlets to the selector valve, 3003-0 solid
aluminium tube for the remainder
o    valve mounted in its normal position (its reasonably accessible and
isn't intended to get much use)
o    Andair mini gascolator and Facet pump mounted below the baggage bay
with a third drain from the gascolator bowl
o    All components electrically bonded to a stud near the filler

Recent reports have described the standard sight gauge as "useless" so I
have positioned it on the seat-back bulkhead between the seats and it will
connect to the main tank vent via another T connector. I am hoping that the
position of the gauge will minimse bogus readings due to attitude and
acceleration and that a single common vent will minimise errors due to
pressure differentials.

I have read the recent correspondence on filters and find Graham Singleton's
recent argument for a single gascolator and drain pretty convincing.
Europa's glass-bodied filters in the seat pans with no stop valve between
them and the tank can best be described as an ugly kludge.

Best regards,

Nick