RE: Speeding up the Rotax 914 Vacuum Pump PTO

Subject: RE: Speeding up the Rotax 914 Vacuum Pump PTO
From: Tony S. Krzyzewski <tonyk@kaon.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 15:24:59
. They are supposed to offer a fully feathering model shortly so you can
feather it with  a totally dead engine.

Weather and delivery of the repaired data logger willing, I will be
commencing the flight tests on the feathering controller within the next
week or so. I know that it's a totally unnatural thing to do but I am
actually going to have to turn a perfectly good working engine off in
flight!!

 Handily increasing engine out glide (theoretically).

We'll be measuring the engine off glide angles at various speeds and
prop settings during the tests.

 One concern I have with the geared Rotax engine is being able to air
start a dead engine with a bad starter.  Being able to dither the pitch
may be of some use in an emergency to get the prop turning in the air .

I very much doubt that this will be possible. The gear ratio will
prevent it at any of the pitch settings.

 Tony