Re: Speeding up the Rotax 914 Vacuum Pump PTO

Subject: Re: Speeding up the Rotax 914 Vacuum Pump PTO
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 15:26:16
Thanx for that good info, Shaun.  If I were World Commander, it would
be law to spec these things at typical RPM on an instrument approach.

In analyzing my electrical sys, it seems I can put only the single
strobe (3.4A) and landing lite on the SD-8, hoping to get away with
one that draws 4.5A.  The light will dim during landing (aux battery),
but most planes do that, and it's bad manners to use strobes on the
ground.  Else the SD-8 is backup power for key items, via a panic
switch.  I found that on all the electrical items I have, the actual
current draw is less than what they say, so it works out so far on
paper -- only 11.5A continuous/night on the Rotax.

Also, on your 914 amp figures, I wonder if the actual output is a bit
less, given the power wasted in heating the regulator.  I note in the
Rotax manuals, beyond the bad translation, they appear oversold on the
concept that brevity is clarity.

Regards,
Fred F., A063