Re: Speeding up the Rotax 914 Vacuum Pump PTO

Subject: Re: Speeding up the Rotax 914 Vacuum Pump PTO
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 15:25:09
I'd bet that most instrument shops wouldn't say that either gyro is
more reliable than the other.  The biggest rap against air-driven
gyros is that the vacuum pump can go Tango Uniform without warning.
The rationale for vacuum gyros is a separate power source.  Hence 28V
electrics are more common, such as on copilot side in bigger planes.
Or even both sides, where they have backup electrical systems and
don't have pneumatic de-ice boots.  Don't you know they're expensive
'cause you can't price 'em less than the fancy fold-away tables back
in the cabin of the KingAir!

Regards,
Fred F., A063

EuropaChris@netscape.net wrote:

> Good way to put it, Fred.  I suppose with the added reliability, IMHO, and the
reduced maintenance of a vacuum pump and system, that it's a good way to go.
I suppose also that they are so expensive is that there are relatively very
few sold compared to vacuum driven instruments.

> But, with modern electronics, I think the vacuum system is hopelessly
> outdated.
A good electric gyro, with a brushless AC motor driven by the built in inverter
power supply, should run as long or longer than an air powered gyro.  The
key is a solid, ell designed, reliable electric system.