Re: Speeding up the Rotax 914 Vacuum Pump PTO

Subject: Re: Speeding up the Rotax 914 Vacuum Pump PTO
From: Steve Hagar <hagargs@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 20:39:06

Hi Chris:

I was thinking about the Whirlwind prop also. The concerns I had also
matched yours, vis  a vie having to go electric because of the loss of
the PTO to the pump. The expense is notable.  Another consideration I had
was the fact that using a 914 you use Wirlwinds 2 blade prop in a condition
where the tips of the prop blades are not trimmed shorter as in Kim Prout's
application.  My concern is the greater suseptibility of a prop
strike  with the larger diameter disk. I am anticipating a ride on the
"wild side" while getting used to the monowheel landing configuration during
initial flights.

At Sun and Fun I saw the Airmaster prop and was fairly impressed. Another
Europa owner swears by it. Being electrically activated you are not constantly

running a pump. They are supposed to offer a fully feathering model shortly so

you can feather it with  a totally dead engine. Handily increasing engine
out glide (theoretically).  One concern I have with the geared Rotax engine
is being able to air start a dead engine with a bad starter.  Being able to
dither the pitch may be of some use in an emergency to get the prop turning in

the air.  The warp drive prop blades are also pretty easy to come by when
dings occur.

Just some thoughts.

Steve Hagar

A143