Re: Speeding up the Rotax 914 Vacuum Pump PTO

Subject: Re: Speeding up the Rotax 914 Vacuum Pump PTO
From: Chris and Susan Beck <n9zes@execpc.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 20:17:43

This is a timely topic for us here, too.  I've been exploring the
options of what instruments, prop, etc. I want to start planning now for
down the road a bit.  I really don't want to hang a vacuum pump on the
Rotax, with the extra complexity and maintenance.  A good, solid, all
electric system seems the way to to.  However, electric horizons and
DG's are over 2x as expensive as the vacuum powered brethren. That blows
away any savings of loosing the vacuum system, no?  It's hard to justify
$2K more on the panel to have electric instruments.

I was also thinking of the Whirlwind prop, I think it is, that is
hydraulic constant speed?  Seems like a great prop, if expensive, but
that will suck up the space needed for either a separate alternator or
vacuum pump.  I guess we can't have our cake and eat it too...

Chris
A159