RE: Rigging

Subject: RE: Rigging
From: Rob Housman <robh@hyperionef.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 19:52:27
Been there, done that, but your description does not make clear exactly what
the symptoms of your poor fit are, but since either wing fits without the
other installed it doesn't sound like there is a vertical clearance problem.
If you have trouble installing the spar pins what follows may help.

First verify that the factory did not leave excess epoxy inside of the
bushings.  The stuff is almost invisible but it certainly makes it difficult
to insert the spar pins.  Also check to see if there is excess epoxy on the
tip of the spar - mine had so much excess that the spars would not fit into
the spar caps/rigging sockets.  The corners should not have a "dog bone"
shape but should be square, and if they are not, file and sand to make them
square.

Even if everything is made properly and all three bushings per side are in
line, until you install the spar guides (which the factory pretends are
optional) it is very difficult to get all the bushings lined up and
therefore it's difficult to insert the spar pins.  Not only is it necessary
to have the three bushings per side in line, but they all must have a common
axis as well.  It takes very little "rotation" of either wing spar to make
the fit impossible.

One trick I found helpful is to install each spar pin in sequence: as each
spar is inserted, first install the spar pin at the end of the spar and use
this as a hinge point to assist in vertically locating the spar bushing at
the wing root and then push that pin into place - do not, however, push the
pins all the way through the port wing's spar bushings until the starboard
spar is in place.

Because I found it impossible (not difficult, impossible) to rig the wings I
machined several undersize dummy spar pins from 1/2 inch bolts.  At .070
inch undersize I finally got the wings sort of rigged.  It was at this point
that I realized that the bushings in the seat bulkhead were not in the
correct locations (thanks to the factory supplied dummy spar that I
discovered did not match the wing bushing locations, but only long after the
epoxy was fully cured).  I now need to remove these bushings and replace
them because my numerous attempts to insert the spar pins have damaged the
mis-located bushings.

I have not tried this, but if you suspect interference (and with the wing
root in the way you can not see anything, as you noted) fabricate a pair of
4 ft long dummy spars that are the same dimensions as the real spars,
install them and check for clearance.  Since either wing fits without the
other look for something forward or aft of the spars that might be getting
in the way.

Having often watched Kim Prout rig the wings on N111EU I know how easy the
wings are to rig.  It is almost effortless.  If it is not easy then
something is surely not in the correct location.

Best regards,

Rob Housman
A070