Re: What Engine Instruments do you need/use on

Subject: Re: What Engine Instruments do you need/use on
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 23:51:37
  aRotax 914?

>  I installed 4 probes
>and routed the dedicated wires through the firewall before connecting them
>to a 4 way selector switch within a small metal box. Keeping the initial
>connections aft of the firewall helps to improve accuracy (by preventing
>heating of the cold junction of the thermocouple) and the metal box and
>screening help to prevent interference.
>Nigel Charles

In my experience this often fails to work reliably, because the switching
resistance varies more than the voltages of the EGT probes. IMHO the only
way is 4 probes and 4 displays, bar graphs ideally for me, but digital is
better than nothing. We had a switched system on a couple of Long EZs.
Neither were much use after a short time in service.

Graham