Re: tail planes

Subject: Re: tail planes
From: Tim Ward <ward.t@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 03:19:14

Paul,
Yes, I have exactly the same setup with the horizontal stabilizers
level. There is an inherent twist in the fuselage bottom of the
magnitude you have measured giving you this discrepancy. Mine was 5mm.
I asked Andy about it and he didn't really think it would be a problem.
Some builders have elected to try and take that twist out. My own view
is, once the twist is moulded in place, it is hard to take out without
placing  stress  on the structure. This stress may prove to be counter
productive later. Certainly my top fuselage went on nicely and sat well
at the tail end. My Europa is a monowheel classic, so when bonding the
fin in place it is very  slightly off vertical due to the twist. Not a
problem as other builders have said. Graham Singleton may have some
comments.
My advice. Absolutely essential to make sure the stabilators are level
to the front bulkhead of the fuselage. The discrepancy will hardly be
noticed and can be cosmetically adjusted.
Hope this is of help.
Tim Ward

--
Timothy P Ward