Wing root fairings

Subject: Wing root fairings
From: Nigel Charles <72016.3721@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 05:48:11
Message text written by INTERNET:erichdtrombley@juno.com
>Does anyone know what the gap between the wing root fairing and the side
of the fuselage should be?  I would like to have a contact fit for
aesthetics and drag reduction but I am concerned that the paint on the
fuselage might get chaffed due to wing flex.  Is this a concern or not?
<

When I made up my fairings the fuselage sides had been filled and sanded
but not painted. To ensure sufficient clearance during fairing fitting I
temporarily taped some thin card to the fuselage sides in the area of the
fairing edges. Having completed the aircraft I found that the small
clearance left was just the right size to allow fitting of a small rubber
trim strip to the fairing. This gives a very pleasing finish to the joint
and provides an air seal as well as protecting against abrasion. I haven't
got the catalogue to hand (I am responding to this away from home) but
there is a suitable rubber strip in the Wicks catalogue. The strip is about
1/2" wide and on one edge has a curl over bead to it. The main part of the
strip sits on the back of the fairing leaving just the bead visible over
the fairing edge. You will need to cut narrow wedges out of the flat part
of the strip to help it around areas of tight curvature. Mine fitted so
well that I have not yet used adhesive as it holds itself in position.

I hope this is of some help.

Nigel Charles