RE: Wing root fairings

Subject: RE: Wing root fairings
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 10:34:04
>The gap is essentially zero.  In the Tri-Gear Manual, Issue 2, 30 July 1999,
>page 27-22 are the instructions on how to use silicone sealant to fill the
>gap (after painting, or else the paint won't stick).  I presume the other
>versions of the manual have similar instructions.
>Rob Housman

I made the gap zero, ie tight. The fairings were restrained by a shallow
recess in the side of the fuselage. Basically we filled the fuse surface
back to the level of the fairings, just a wedge of filler the thickness of
4 plies of Bid.
Fairings were thin and flexible,  and that was enough to absorb wing
movement at that point, (I guess no more than a couple of millimeters,) to
stop any chafing of the paint. In 200 hours of flying there is no evidence
of chafing.
I know a few others have done the same, any comments? Feedback?
Graham