Re: Instruments

Subject: Re: Instruments
From: Shaun Simpkins <shauns@hevanet.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 06:52:02
If you don't like the uEncoder's data presentation, AITI
(www.aircraftinstruments.com ) makes an instrument called the ADC (air data
computer) which displays altitude, v/s, and airspeed in a vertical tape
format on a monochrome graphic LCD and fits in a 3.25" hole ( though the
bezel winds up close to 4").  Both graphic and numeric readouts are
provided, speed "arcs" are user-selectable, and 3 additional quantities (
TAS, baro, etc. ) plus status can be displayed at the bottom.  The price is
about $2K.  Then again, this is a completed instrument, not a kit.

I should note for those motor glider enthusiasts that the standard VSI needs
to be replaced by a variometer.  The uEncoder and, I believe, the ADC, has
very fast response time which is user-selectable.  This allows glider VSI
response in glider mode and standard VSI response with short wings.  Of
course, the really serious glider pilots will want a total energy or netto
vario...

Both also function as altitude encoders for mode C transponders.

Shaun