Looks like a Harrier - Lands like a Harrier

Subject: Looks like a Harrier - Lands like a Harrier
From: Tony Krzyzewski <tonyk@kaon.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 07:44:41

For those who have every wondered how the monowheel handles _really_ strong
winds I can tell you that it handles them superbly!

This past weekend we had the opportunity to take ZK-UBD down to the south
island to attend the SAANZ Great Plains Fly-In - a return trip of 1100
nautical miles, including a 30nm sea crossing each way. On the way home
(with the SafeAir Navigation Competition trophy tucked safely in the baggage
bay) we ended up striking 40 knot + headwinds as we ground our way up the
west coast of the North Island under a 800' cloud base. Eventually we had to
give up and decided to land at Wanganui where the cloud base was higher but
the wind was certainly no easier.

Coming in on final it became obvious that progress was very slow and
eventually, having confirmed that the aircraft was in fact stationary over
the threshhold at 100 feet with an indicated airspeed of 48 knots, I decided
to do something I have always wanted to do..... Positioning forward I lined
the aircraft up abeam the taxiway and very gently lowered her to the ground,
applying a touch more power during the descent as the windspeed dropped. The
aircraft made a perfect four point landing with a _very_ short forward roll.

On the ground the aircraft behaved impeccably. With aileron held into wind
and the stick full back I was able to taxi crosswind with only the very
slightest indication that it wanted to weathercock.

During the trip we landed at other locations in wind conditions that varied
---From dead calm, 30 knot headwinds, headwinds of 19 gusting 25 and crosswind
components approaching 12 knots. The aircraft handled all of the conditions
with incredible ease.

With over 16 hours flying under my belt this weekend I am convinced more
than ever that I made the right choice in selecting a Europa monowheel.

Tony

Tony S Krzyzewski        Kaon Technologies Ltd
Managing Director        Unit 6, 7 Torrens Rd
Ph 64 9 274 1590         East Tamaki
Fax 64 9 274 1593        PO Box 58-521, Greenmount
                         Auckland