Rudder Cable Guides

Subject: Rudder Cable Guides
From: Bill McClellan <wilmac@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 18:10:28
Regarding the rudder cable and cable guides, the manual, p. 22-7, says
"The slot depth should be as shallow as required to ensure the cable is
clear of any part of the landing gear assembly....The cable guides are
to be bolted to the plywood rib under the thigh supports.  Firstly,
establish the best position that the guide needs to be in to give
maximum clearance."  With the landing gear swing arm in retracted level
position, it is still 1"+ below the cable and 1/2" to the side.  I don't
have the tire or brake on the swing arm but it doesn't seem there is a
problem of them hitting or getting hung up.  Am I missing something
here?  If thery are already clear why am I putting in a guide to keep
them clear.  It would seem that if the problem is that cable can go
slack, shouldn't there be a tube or something to enclose the cable as
the guide alone will not keep the slack away from the landing gear if it
goes that slack.   Has anyone found the need for a tube enclosure, or
any other solution, and if so how did you install that?

Thanks,
Bill McClellan
A164