Re: Instruments

Subject: Re: Instruments
From: Grahamclk@aol.com
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 17:34:17
        europa@avnet.co.uk

In a message dated 06/02/2001 18:59:17 GMT Standard Time, tonyk@kaon.co.nz
writes:

> . When it is working,the microencoder is my primary flight reference and
> sits centre top in the panel.

You can get used to anything of course but there are fundamental differences
and much research has gone on in this area.  Digits have to be read, and it
is more difficult to judge rate of change from them. Though you could argue
that the numbers on instruments are smaller than those on the RMI Encoder,
they have better contrast and  coloured backgrounds for important ranges,
stall, gear.flap range etc.

I get the best of both worlds by using it's serial link to take the data on
to a display where you can have any sort of depiction you want, and have now
got used to coloured bars (when not showing the gps coupled map).
The UK PFA will not allow an electrical instrument for the primary functions.

Graham C  G-EMIN