Re: Instruments

Subject: Re: Instruments
From: Paul & Liz Atkinson <paulliz@cix.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 11:22:38
In article <3b.1019bd26.27b1d5e9@aol.com>, Grahamclk@aol.com
() wrote:

> You can get used to anything of course but there are
fundamental
> differences and much research has gone on in this area.
Digits have to
> be read, and it is more difficult to judge rate of change
---From them.
> Though you could argue that the numbers on instruments are
smaller than
> those on the RMI Encoder, they have better contrast and
coloured
> backgrounds for important ranges, stall, gear.flap range
etc.

Graham
Digits are more difficult to read, but I reckon that the
Encoder makes up for it in other ways. The trend arrows are
very useful in this respect, and the built in alarms can be
set up to warn you about the important speeds. The best
feature, as far as I am concerned, is that all the important
information(bar AOA) is close together. If you are
concentrating on one function, the trend arrows of the other
two are within your field of vision, and will alert you to a
change. With conventional instruments a good scan is needed,
which not all of us possess.

Paul Atkinson