Re: Jabiru

Subject: Re: Jabiru
From: Miles McCallum <milesm@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 22:48:02
>>> if anyone knows a good reason why I shouldn't go for a Jabiru, please say so
>before I get over excited and
>buy one. Cheers ////    Eddie Hatcher ////    Kit 279     /////<<
>
>Before putting some money down I'd be very keen to know about the 6 cylinder
>Jabiru, which might be much more ideal than the 4.

I must confess to being rather taken by the Jabiru engine -and more so after
having flown the aircraft... The six (which may be out next year, but don't
hold your breath) seems ideal: 120 hp at light weight will make the europa
go like a scalded cat :Ivan tells me that Kim Prout's 912 engined example
-after a major aerodynamic clean up effort- now boasts 145kt, full throttle
at SL (OK -250 ft...) with probably more to come with the addition of gear
doors. Sooooo........ the 200 mph Europa (big hp, high altitude) is probably
just a matter of time. Watch out the fast glass!

 Incidently, Ivan's winning margin at S&F was such that he could have
started the race with the aeroplane tied onto the trailer! Shame the
"fastest rotax powered kitplane" aka the turbo Pulsar, ahem, failed to
compete -any guesses as to why?!

The Jabiru boys over here are proposing a 4 to 6 upgrade scheme as and when
it becomes available. I believe the Gatwick boys have developed their own
cowlings that are designed with the six in mind as well, and word has it
that it will be finished and on show (but probably unflown) at Cranfield.

weight (or lack of it) of the 4... nothing that moving the engine forward
won't cure.

Miles