RE: Jabiru

Subject: RE: Jabiru
From: DR. CHRISTOPH BOTH <christoph.both@acadiau.ca>
Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 11:13:40
Hi, Tony and other Jabiru enthusiasts!

I have already done quite some research on this engine over the last
two years  as I think it might be an excellent alternative to the
Rotax.

  Instead of searching around you should give the Jabiru
importers in UK a call Andy at Europa should have the contact
address as they are working together on the engine mount. This
person seems to be very well informed and
is already offering a package with a new customized engine mount for
the Europa. The good news is that Europa builders WILL save 50 lbs
weight as the engine will be mounted 14 cm forward. This necessitates
a new cowling which the company offers as well.

So, 50 lbs less is a lot, especially if thinking of the new glider
wings coming along soon...Smaller prop will help the glide ratio here
as well. Not to talk about much greater ground clearance (54" 2-blade
prop instead 62" 3--blade)

Here is the best news: the engine mount is only 450 punds sterling
and the new cowlings about the same.  What elso do you need?  No
radiators, hoses, special silencer  and other Rotax gizmo like for
the Rotax.

Compare this to the prize Europa is charging us for Stage 4 and you
have a VERY attractive price advantage from this situation alone.
By the way, the Jabiru is also a certified engine in Australia. The
Rotax certified version is financially out of the reach of most of us
who cannot afford even the UL version.  Add the Stage 4 cost and you
can buy two Jabirus,  well, .....almost.

The British distributor has announced that flight testing in a
builder's Europa will start April/May 1997.  Let's see. I hope they
come up with a nice looking cowling design similar to the Europa
scheme as I would certainly like to retain the large spinner.

Let me know if you have more questions. I got some information
material here.  There is also a guy in Canada who is running a
Jabiru80 and a Rotax 912 in two identical aircraft since over a year.
He runs a flight school and aircraft building business. Let's see
what he has to say...

I HAVE CONTACTED EUROPA UK AND USA ON THIS ENGINE A FEW TIMES AND
IT ALWAY AMAZES ME HOW EUROPA AVIATION DID NOT EVEN CONSIDER TO
HAVE A CLOSER LOOK AT THIS ENGINE. THERE IS NOT MUCH CHOICE OUT THERE
AND IT WOULD HAVE BEEN CERTAINLY MUCH LESS EFFORT TO BOLT THIS ENGINE
TO RETIRING G-YURO THAN RUNNING JUST A FEW PARTS OF THEIR NEW BMW
PROGRAM. TO ME, AN ENGINE CERTIFIED TO AIRCRAFT STANDARDS SOMEWHERE
IN THE WORLD SEEMS SUFFICIENT REASON TO INVESTIGATE.  IN FACT,
THE ROTAX 912 RECIEVED CERTIFICATION LONG AFTER IT WAS PUT INTO THE
EUROPA.

All the best,

Christoph Both #223
Halifax, N.S. Canada