solid state fuses

Subject: solid state fuses
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <72770.552@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 22:45:08
 So, fresh out of the box, you've invested time and effort on the system
 that did not go directly to the production of your airplane.

 >Isn't that what "Experimenting" is all about :). Unlike many builders I
 >spend a lot of time exploring the build process and design issues.
 >One of the great joys I have discovered with homebuilding is the time I
 >spend working out how to do something and exploring different methods of
 >achieving the task.

   Oh most certainly!!! I too have many creative features in the machines
   I fly and encourage any and all to exercise their rights and desires
   to do the same. But we were discussing shortcuts of various flavors
   in getting a system installed. My suggestion was that the EXP Bus did
   not deliver on it's advertising hype. I thought you were taking a position
   to the contrary.

 ---------------
 Okay, explain that to me. Even for your own case, you've already spent
 more time evaluating and modifying the EXP Bus than I say should be
 required to install and wire it's equivalent collection of parts.

 >Quite probably, but then I knew that before I purchased the unit. My
 >requirements were for a unit that could hook into my experimental
 >microprocessor based flight management system. Having had a good chat
 >with Jay Humbard who designed the unit we came to the conclusion that
 >their unit combined with their own monitoring board would actually save
 >me around six months of development time.

   Okay, we're not talking apples and apples here and we need to make sure
   that folk listening in know it. The EXP Bus is attractive to you for
   personal reasons that go beyond the considerations I outlined in my
   original design review.

 -------
 Based on your own experience, how would you recommend that anyone purchase
 and apply the EXP Bus to their own project, and compared to what other
 technique is anything saved?

 >The recommendation is simple but probably won't please you too much as it is

 >more oriented to personal psychology than to hard technical  . . .

    (a piece of your message dropped out here but I get the gist of it)

   On the contrary, it pleases me very much that you have the time, talent
   and willingness to explore new techiques and to share your experiences with
   others.

 > . . . .Aero Electric Connection, wire up their own fuse panel and do all
 >the cabling themselves then this is by far the more preferable but lets not
 >forget those that need a more gentle introduction to the fine art to
 >electrical
cabling.

  Then I don't think we disagree on much . . . you're willing to pay the asking
  price for the EXP Bus product to accomplish a certain task. You believe that
  it saves some cabling time and I say it needs to be demonstrated. I sugested
  that after you add the wires nessary to remotely mount the switches, you'll
have
  as many (or more) wires that with any of the techniques I recommend. I don't
think
  there's any disagreement between the costs of do-it-all-yourself and using
products
  like the EXP Bus.  You didn't speak to any of the other arguments I made.

  What I want people to understand is the differnce between USING a product and
  RECOMMENDING that anyone else use the product. Your application for the
  EXP Bus is unique and doesn't demonstrate much for the guy who is spending
  hundreds of dollars in anticipation of reaping the "savings" offered. I too
  dabble in technologies and techniques that I am proud of and willing
  to talk about at length. However, when asked to recommend hardware and
techniques
  for an amateur builder, I have a totally different responsability.

  BTW Tony, I think you're clicking on too many boxes when you send your
e-mails.
  An encoded copy of your replies are tacked onto the end of your text which
more
  than doubles the size of your message with half of it being gibberish.

    Regards,

    Bob . . .
    AeroElectric Connection
                   ////