Re: Damper kit / rubber blocks

Subject: Re: Damper kit / rubber blocks
From: europa aviation ltd <enquiries@europaaviation.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 08:17:46
>Furhter to Ron`s posting on rubber blocks, I have been trying without much
>sucess todate to locate a source of rubber with high hysteresis. There are
>special versions of engine/anti-vibration mounts available which use "HD
>silicone"; which has vastly improved internal damping over the rubbers commonly
>used in such applications. These are sourced from somewhere in the States, so
>haven` yet been able to get any data on the polymer used. But it indicates an
>avenue worth researching.
>
>Is anyone else looking (or already looked) into this? Or am I just wasting my
>time?
>Further thoughts please.
>
>Duncan McFadyean No. 175.

Dear Duncan,
We have spent a considerable time investigating high hysteresis rubbers for
the shock absorber. The conclusion we have come to is that the higher the
hysteresis, the greater the creep. If there is anyone out there who knows
different, we'd be happy to look at it.
The shock absorber with the damper kit installed is our solution, however
there is not a practical way of removing the springing contribution of the tyre.
We have demonstrated that if the aircraft is landed at the correct speed -
ie in the two point attitude, it will not bounce.
Regards,
Andy Draper.
Web Site at www.europa-aviation.co.uk
     Fax No 44 1751 431706