Re: Damper kit / rubber blocks

Subject: Re: Damper kit / rubber blocks
From: DerylMek@aol.com
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 16:45:21
<<
 My inclination (so far theoretical, if not heretical) is to bypass all this
 rubber block stuff and go straight for a nice conventional adjustable coil
 spring/damper arrangement. If you look at current racing motorcycle/car
 technology, they use short stroke alloy dampers, adjustable for both
 compression and rebound damping, as well as spring preload. There are
 certainly units about that would seem to fit the bill: I believe all F1 cars
 use Penske shocks, often (if not universally) with titanium springs.
 (Somewhat expensive, but ever so light)

Been lurking for some time,  must finally make comment.  Was watching the
toob the other night ( Discovery Channel I believe)  and they had a short
feature on new mountain bike suspensions.  (for those of you not up on the
American Rad and Knarly X-Generation exploits, mountain bikes are the pedal
type ridden off-road in rough and steep areas)  Anyway, the suspension they
showed had red and blue compound doughnuts on a sliding shaft, with
adjustable tension even when riding.  Don't recall the name of the compound
used,  but it was relatively new and had exceptional damping and rebound
qualities.  The doughnuts are apparently sold in bike shops.  Considering
what these people were doing on some sandstone badland areas in Utah  ) :-O
), it had to be good stuff.  This may be a material to consider for landing
gear.

Deryl Mekelburg
      PS - why are the TimeNoMoney, MoneyNoTime, and NoTimeNoMoney factors so
dominent?  How often does TimeWithMoney occur?