Re: Europa-List: Had A Bad Day with a Perspex Window

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Had A Bad Day with a Perspex Window
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 13:12:16
Sorry for taking so long to comment.  I was out.  Flew a Motor Glider
---From Tampa To Kansas City.  Great trip.
127 TAS at 4.8 gph at 8500ft.  A lot of weather, but not bad.

On to windows...
Richard, The problem may already be fixed, but here are my two cents:
    On the sprung corner, if it is out only 1mm or so, try to fill the
area with clear redux.  Keep in mind, that it is not going to bond well
as the surfaces have cured glue on them and are slick.  But it will
prevent a large air void and possible separation if filled.  I have not
had one sprung in the shop, once when helping someone redoing a door
which was damaged, I saw a void near the handle that was 1.5 inches
around the corner.  I suggested he grind the glass closer to level and
he filled the void by injecting in redux, then glassed over the corner,
making his door glass viewing area about 1/2 inch smaller in the corner,
but the glassing of two layers of staggered bid has done the trick.  One
other thing I noticed is that the door panel to plexi joint was very
smooth and didn't show a bump in the heat after painting due to
different expansion rates.

Usually, any redux on the outside of the glass can be flecked off using
a plastic scraper.  Sometimes a little heat to get it warm will do the
trick (about 120 degrees F).  The plexi will buff out.  My windows are a
mess of scratches as they are left-overs or returns...  Using grits from
400 to 2000 then buffing compounds and a good slow buffer did the trick.
 Mine still need one more inside and out buffing with anti-swirl
compound and they'll be fine.

Bud Yerly
Custom FLight