Re: Europa-List: Flying a heavy Europa XS?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Flying a heavy Europa XS?
From: GLENN CROWDER <gcrowder2@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 19:06:41

I flew my 930 lb Monowheel with EA81 power and 125 hp yesterday with a 195
lb passenger.  I am 210.  My home base is at 5090 ft.  I have a fixed pitch
3 bladed prop pitched for cruise.  Takeoff was a breeze on my 4700 ft
runway, breaking ground in about 800 ft, staying in ground effect for
another 1200 then climbing at about 750 fpm for the first thousand feet.
Cruising about 4600 rpm
gives about 145 mph.  On part of the flight, we slowed to about 100 and were
getting 2.0 gph
on the fuel computer for about 30 minutes.  My passenger felt the ailerons
were very light and
sensitive but the elevator was sensitive but heavier than the Mustang II he
had just ridden in last week (probably due to the all flying stab on the
Mono). The landing was sweet at the normal 70 mph approach speed with no
bounce or tail wagging common on a lot of taildraggers.  Very enjoyable!  I
did weld in some additional steel supports to the swingarm area.  Back when
I was first learning to fly the Mono,  I botched some landings not getting
the tail down far enough (easy to do now!) and got some very severe bouncing
(almost hit the prop) before I decided to do a go around.  I thouroughly
inspected the swing arm area afterwards and could find nothing bent.  That
was 3 yrs ago and haven't had a landing with more than one extra bounce
since.
  I recently received some wheel landing training in a brand new Citabria
and felt the Citabria was quite a bit touchier on landing than the
Monowheel.  With the Mono, as soon as the tail touches, you just pin the
tail with the stick and hold it, with the Citabria if you do that the tail
wheel will start shimmying badly.  Also with the Citab, you can occasionally
get a wing to lift on one side after touchdown and have to roll it level
again.  This never happens with the Mono.  Landing the Mono
seems no harder than a C172, just a bit different!  Just my $ .02.

                                                   Glenn