RE: Europa-List: Re: Stalls & spins - any test pilot pireps out there?

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: Stalls & spins - any test pilot pireps out there?
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 01:03:22

Ron,
I have never noticed droopy ailerons.  A laminar flow airfoil needs no reflexed
up or down for reduced drag.  The Europa is not a Cessna or Piper flat bottom
airfoil.
Let me be clear, there are aircraft that have interesting aileron rig.  To name
a few:
Ailerons that have slop at the center position and the ailerons actually float.
Ailerons that are not balanced and under G load droop because of poor geometry
of the aileron quick disconnect.
Poor QD geometry leading to interesting slippage and ailerons that have as much
as 1/4 inch play up, OK at the center, and tight at the bottom.  That is a build
error or sloppy construction.

Try this:  Lock your aileron in the wing rack (since you are not flying this
winter)
and try to move your belcrank with your hand.  If you can flex the mechanism
look for loose screws.

Build the plane like the book then test fly please.  You are not going to do
better
than ELSA or the prototypes.

Best Regards,
Bud Yerly