Re: Europa-List: Re: Stalls & spins - any test pilot pireps out there?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Stalls & spins - any test pilot pireps out there?
From: Pete <peterz@zutrasoft.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 14:35:37
Agreed!  Training, proficiency, and altitude are all prerequisites imho.

That said, the Europa design has great recovery attributes, so testing
=98should=99 be benign.  I have never yet heard of a pirep of Europa r
ecovery issues over my 25years of following :-) . Even with the lon
g wings (!)  per recent reports (?).  But keep those pireps coming!

IMHO spins are a fun and benign maneuver in a capable design. Not so in my u
nrecoverable (blanked rudder) lil=99hummelbird - not the best aero des
ign but still more fun than a barrel full of monkeys :-)

With a significant aileron trim tab required on my classic, i am typically e
xpecting a right hand break. Centered ball power off stalls so far in my 200
hrs with it have been pretty normal requiring only moderate foot exercise. M
y new CYA100 AOA is performing great, although id like explore how the vane a
nd indication perform in full slips near the stall left and right. Thus my o
riginal question.

Having it recover from an inverted spin by letting everything go is a neat t
rick! and again supports the excellent design hypothesis.

Cheers,
PeteZ

> On Jan 22, 2022, at 12:11 PM, fklein@orcasonline.com wrote:
>
> =EF=BB
>
>> On Jan 22, 2022, at 3:15 AM, davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk wrote:
>>
>> On my biennial renewal flight I was deliberately stalled in a mono gear u
p steep turn (possibly 60 degrees). The plane went very abruptly into a nose
 down rapidly rotating spin. No problem correcting with standard recovery. A
 friend did something similar in his trigear and found himself abruptly in a
n inverted spin. He let go of everything whilst trying to think what to do a
nd the spin corrected itself. The moral for me is think carefully before try
ing these moves and certainly give yourself lots of height. Regards, David J
oyce, GXSDJ