Re: Europa-List: Re: Connecting both sides of the fuel tank

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Connecting both sides of the fuel tank
From: timward <ward.t@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2020 07:15:37
Hi All,
Wow. I didn=99t realise the return fuel was that significant. My apolo
gies, I shall return to the recognised method in the future, Main Tank then R
eserve.
Cheers,
Tim

Sent from my iPad
Tim Ward
12 Waiwetu Street,
Fendalton,
Christchurch,
8052
New Zealand
ward.t@xtra.co.nz
021 0640221

> On 4/11/2020, at 1:32 AM, Remi Guerner <air.guerner@orange.fr> wrote:

ange.fr>

> I agree with John that it is the best practice. The returned fuel is very s
ignificant. It is about 12 liters per hour at cruise power with the standard
 Europa fuel system (Rotax 912, all carburetted versions). Then if you empty
 the reserve side first, the 9 or so liters remaining on the main side will n
ot all go to the engine. Suppose your engine is using 15 liters/hour at your
 selected cruise power, the fuel flow from the tank will be 27 L/h and the m
ain side will be empty after 20 minutes. 4 liters will go to the reserve sid
e and stay there... unless you switch tanks once again. Better empty the mai
n first and get 36 minutes of powered flight after switching to reserve. Wit
h the 914, the average return flow is dramatically higher, making the proble
m worse.

=========
=========
=========