Re: Europa-List: Smell of petrol in the cocpit just after takeoff

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Smell of petrol in the cocpit just after takeoff
From: George Nielsen <genie@swissmail.org>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2015 22:05:23

John,

This reminds me that I had a smell of petrol in my cockpit when parked
in the hangar. I eventually noticed that there was a fuel tank leak.
Recently I sealed it. I will see if the smell has disappeared.

Perhaps there is a leak in your fuel tank in a place above the fuel
level when parked but below the fuel level when taking off and climbing.
It is not clear to me if your Europa is a monowheel, a tailwheel or a
nosewheel version. Perhaps you could check if there are leaks in the
fuel tank at a place which would be above the fuel level when parked but
below when taking off and climbing.

Good luck with this.

George