Re: Europa-List: Smell of petrol in the cocpit just after takeoff

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Smell of petrol in the cocpit just after takeoff
From: GTH <gilles.thesee@free.fr>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2015 09:24:09

Le 11/05/2015 19:38, JohnFrance a crit :

> Hi All,
> During a flight yesterday I had a fairly strong smell of petrol in the cabin
just after take off and while in the climb, it lasted about 2 minutes.

> I recently removed the drip trays from under the carbs on the advice of
> several
people. Their view was, it's better to have a few drips catching fire than
a bigger volume that has been heated up.
John and all,

Please allow me to chime in.

- Considering the Rotax layout, no drip tray means some fuel *will* drip
or leak direct onto the superheated exhaust pipes. So, I'd say *do
reinstall the drip trays*. Whoever gave yout the advice you mentioned is
not aware of the necessity to drain them with a fire resistant hose to a
safe place under the airplane. No amount of fuel should be allowed to
stand in the drip trays themselves.

- The FWL should be gas tight, whatever the conditions under the cowl.
So even with carbs flooding, no fumes should enter the cockpit. I
suggest you perform a thorough check of the firewall, or at the very
least do the "lamp-under-the-cowl" night test.

FWIW,
Best regards

Gilles
http://contrails.free.fr