RE: Europa-List: FK fairings...............input requested.

Subject: RE: Europa-List: FK fairings...............input requested.
From: Greg Fuchs <gregoryf.flyboy@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 11:26:55
Hi Tony,

I have been thinking about how to implement Fred's Wing Fairing sometime
later. In interest of data-gathering (for me), it would need to be removable
to allow for testing flight characteristics of the aircraft in multiple
configurations, including the original fairing (also for backward
compatibility for the other wings available). That would be a good way to
see how it performs.  Because of this, it seems that keeping it whole (no
cutting) might be the best course of action. It's nice to know that someone
else is considering the same. If you fly before me, you would have the best
information available about how the un-chopped fairing will affect flight
performance. :-)   I am no aerodynamicist, but do agree with your
interpretation below. Any effects of the fairing hanging in the breeze with
the flaps deployed can be tested carefully at altitude. Otherwise, it has
been tested by a number of others in the flaps-up position and is intended
to be less draggy in that state.

I  don't think  (and this is pure conjecture)  the exposed surface area is
large enough to do anything in the negative way, especially since its in
competition with a very large flap that is doing most of the wind directing.

BTW: I look forward to obtaining fairing attachment ideas (i.e. nutplates?)
---From you after you've had time to percolate the project.

Regards,
Greg

  _____