Re: Europa-List: Flap Closeout Closeout

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Flap Closeout Closeout
From: GRAHAM SINGLETON <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 12:26:35
Blu foam and micro is the way to go! Use plenty of microballoons so stiff m
icro and be careful you don't get an exotherm=0Awhich you will if there's a
 big volume of micro.=0AGraham=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A______________________________
__=0A From: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw268@gmail.com>=0ATo: europa-list@matro
nics.com =0ASent: Wednesday, 19 February 2014, 11:28=0ASubject: Re: Europa-
List: Flap Closeout Closeout=0A =0A=0A=0AHi Graham,=0ANot stabilising doesn
=99t sound good. Seems like using good old blue foam might be the bet
ter way to go, and bog it in with micro. It is a frustration that you can
=99t poor in a liquid that sets. I could always use plaster ;-)=0A=0A
Tony R.=0A=0A=0A=0AOn 19 Feb 2014, at 10:01 pm, GRAHAM SINGLETON <grahamsin
gleton@btinternet.com> wrote:=0A=0ATony=0A>that's the way I would do it. Tr
ouble with spray can Urethane is it never really stabilises.=0A>Graham=0A>
=0A>=0A>=0A>=0A>________________________________=0A>From:=C2-Jim McAvoy <
jimca@ozemail.com.au>=0A>To:=C2-"europa-list@matronics.com" <europa-list@
matronics.com>=C2-=0A>Sent:=C2-Wednesday, 19 February 2014, 10:55=0A>Su
bject:=C2-Re: Europa-List: Flap Closeout Closeout=0A>=0A>=0A>--> Europa-L
ist message posted by: Jim McAvoy <jimca@ozemail.com.au>=0A>=0A>Tony, Jim h
ere.=0A>I did it years ago now and it wasn't anywhere as difficult as you a
nticipate.=0A>Also made some cones and glued them in first. I then took a s
uitable bit of leftover foam and pushed it onto the flap end, which made a
perfect line to cut. My foam was only 1/2 inch thick, so I blocked it outwe
igh scraps, glued it in the end, filled the gaps and 2 layers of BID - Bobs
 your uncle.=0A>Jim McAvoy=0A>Perth=0A>=0A>> On 19 Feb 2014, at 6:06 pm, Pe
te Lawless <pete@lawless.info> wrote:=0A>>=C2-=0A>> --> Europa-List messa
ge posted by: Pete Lawless <pete@lawless.info>=0A>>=C2-=0A>> Hi Tony=0A>>
=C2-=0A>> From past experience of expanding foam in house building projec
ts I would guess it is not suitable.=C2- Tends to have quite large voids
left in it after it has gone off.=C2- It also tends to keep expanding so
very difficult to judge how much to put in.=0A>>=C2-=0A>> Be interested t
o know if any one has found a way of using it, I have been meaning to fill
my flap extensions for the last 12 years.=0A>>=C2-=0A>> Pete=0A>> Classic
 912 #109=0A>>=C2-=0A>>> On 19/02/14 09:27, Tony Renshaw wrote:=0A>>> Gid
day,=0A>>> Like others I am considering whether I will close off the end of
 my flaps. I have found a tube that is tapered down to the OD of the flap c
ross tube, my vacuum cleaner wand, and I have created a couple of tubes tha
t I intend on placing over the flap cross tube and re-rigging the wings, th
en filling the gap ideally with expand foam or something similar, shaping i
t, and then glassing over it, with flox corners and 2 plies of BID. Has any
one used expand foam to shape things as it is a deep closeout now with the
flap extensions on them, and to make up foam inserts would be a bit of a di
saster. I tried some expanding foam today, upside down as instructed, and d
isaster. It managed to exude around the base of the wand, not down it into
my dummy setup, the inside of a tissue box. So, I have a puddle of expandin
g cell foam on my bench that I can now see if it is sandable and shapeable,
 or not.=0A>>> There must be an easier way, but I don=99t know what i
t is. It seems wise to fill it rather than have a chamber of air, requiring
 venting if I just create a wall at the end of the closeout, somehow. Any t
ips??=0A>>> Tony R.=0A>>> Sydney Aussie.=0A>>=C2-=0A>>=C2-http://www.ma
t; =C2- =C2- =C2- =C2- =C2- =C2-=C2-ronics.com/contribution"
target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contrib========
========0A>=0A>=0A>=0A>=0A>=0A>=0A>href="http://www.matroni
cs.com/Navigator?Europa-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-Lis
t=0Ahref="http://forums.matronics.com/";>http://forums.matronics.com=0Ahre