Europa-List: Flap Closeout Closeout

Subject: Europa-List: Flap Closeout Closeout
From: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw268@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 20:27:21
Gidday,
Like others I am considering whether I will close off the end of my
flaps. I have found a tube that is tapered down to the OD of the flap
cross tube, my vacuum cleaner wand, and I have created a couple of tubes
that I intend on placing over the flap cross tube and re-rigging the
wings, then filling the gap ideally with expand foam or something
similar, shaping it, and then glassing over it, with flox corners and 2
plies of BID. Has anyone used expand foam to shape things as it is a
deep closeout now with the flap extensions on them, and to make up foam
inserts would be a bit of a disaster. I tried some expanding foam today,
upside down as instructed, and disaster. It managed to exude around the
base of the wand, not down it into my dummy setup, the inside of a
tissue box. So, I have a puddle of expanding cell foam on my bench that
I can now see if it is sandable and shapeable, or not.
There must be an easier way, but I don=92t know what it is. It seems
wise to fill it rather than have a chamber of air, requiring venting if
I just create a wall at the end of the closeout, somehow. Any tips??
Tony R.
Sydney Aussie.