Re: Europa-List: Flap Closeout Closeout

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Flap Closeout Closeout
From: GRAHAM SINGLETON <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 11:01:37
Tony=0Athat's the way I would do it. Trouble with spray can Urethane is it
never really stabilises.=0AGraham=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A___________________________
_____=0A From: Jim McAvoy <jimca@ozemail.com.au>=0ATo: "europa-list@matroni
cs.com" <europa-list@matronics.com> =0ASent: Wednesday, 19 February 2014, 1
0:55=0ASubject: Re: Europa-List: Flap Closeout Closeout=0A =0A=0A--> Europa
-List message posted by: Jim McAvoy <jimca@ozemail.com.au>=0A=0ATony, Jim h
ere.=0AI did it years ago now and it wasn't anywhere as difficult as you an
ticipate.=0AAlso made some cones and glued them in first. I then took a sui
table bit of leftover foam and pushed it onto the flap end, which made a pe
rfect line to cut. My foam was only 1/2 inch thick, so I blocked it outweig
h scraps, glued it in the end, filled the gaps and 2 layers of BID - Bobs y
our uncle.=0AJim McAvoy=0APerth=0A=0A> On 19 Feb 2014, at 6:06 pm, Pete Law
 Pete Lawless <pete@lawless.info>=0A> =0A> Hi Tony=0A> =0A> From past exper
ience of expanding foam in house building projects I would guess it is not
suitable.=C2- Tends to have quite large voids left in it after it has gon
e off.=C2- It also tends to keep expanding so very difficult to judge how
 much to put in.=0A> =0A> Be interested to know if any one has found a way
of using it, I have been meaning to fill my flap extensions for the last 12
 years.=0A> =0A> Pete=0A> Classic 912 #109=0A> =0A>> On 19/02/14 09:27, Ton
y Renshaw wrote:=0A>> Gidday,=0A>> Like others I am considering whether I w
ill close off the end of my flaps. I have found a tube that is tapered down
 to the OD of the flap cross tube, my vacuum cleaner wand, and I have creat
ed a couple of tubes that I intend on placing over the flap cross tube and
re-rigging the wings, then filling the gap ideally with expand foam or some
thing similar, shaping it, and then glassing over it, with flox corners and
 2 plies of BID. Has anyone used expand foam to shape things as it is a dee
p closeout now with the flap extensions on them, and to make up foam insert
s would be a bit of a disaster. I tried some expanding foam today, upside d
own as instructed, and disaster. It managed to exude around the base of the
 wand, not down it into my dummy setup, the inside of a tissue box. So, I h
ave a puddle of expanding cell foam on my bench that I can now see if it is
 sandable and shapeable, or not.=0A>> There must be an easier way, but I do
n=99t know what it is. It seems wise to fill it rather than have a ch
amber of air, requiring venting if I just create a wall at the end of the c
loseout, somehow. Any tips??=0A>> Tony R.=0A>> Sydney Aussie.=0A> =0A> =0A>
=C2- =C2- =C2- =C2- =C2- =C2- =C2- =C2- -Matt Dralle, List
=======