Re: Europa-List: Flap Closeout Closeout

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Flap Closeout Closeout
From: Jim McAvoy <jimca@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 18:55:01

Tony, Jim here.
I did it years ago now and it wasn't anywhere as difficult as you anticipate.
Also made some cones and glued them in first. I then took a suitable bit of
leftover
foam and pushed it onto the flap end, which made a perfect line to cut.
My foam was only 1/2 inch thick, so I blocked it outweigh scraps, glued it in
the end, filled the gaps and 2 layers of BID - Bobs your uncle.
Jim McAvoy
Perth

> On 19 Feb 2014, at 6:06 pm, Pete Lawless <pete@lawless.info> wrote:
>

> Hi Tony
>
> From past experience of expanding foam in house building projects I would
> guess
it is not suitable.  Tends to have quite large voids left in it after it has
gone off.  It also tends to keep expanding so very difficult to judge how much
to put in.

> Be interested to know if any one has found a way of using it, I have been
> meaning
to fill my flap extensions for the last 12 years.

> Pete
> Classic 912 #109
>
>> On 19/02/14 09:27, Tony Renshaw wrote:
>> Gidday,
>> Like others I am considering whether I will close off the end of my flaps. I
have found a tube that is tapered down to the OD of the flap cross tube, my
vacuum
cleaner wand, and I have created a couple of tubes that I intend on placing
over the flap cross tube and re-rigging the wings, then filling the gap ideally
with expand foam or something similar, shaping it, and then glassing over
it, with flox corners and 2 plies of BID. Has anyone used expand foam to shape
things as it is a deep closeout now with the flap extensions on them, and to
make up foam inserts would be a bit of a disaster. I tried some expanding foam
today, upside down as instructed, and disaster. It managed to exude around
the base of the wand, not down it into my dummy setup, the inside of a tissue
box. So, I have a puddle of expanding cell foam on my bench that I can now see
if it is sandable and shapeable, or not.
>> There must be an easier way, but I dont know what it is. It seems wise to
>> fill
it rather than have a chamber of air, requiring venting if I just create a
wall at the end of the closeout, somehow. Any tips??