Re: Europa-List: FK fairings...............input requested.

Subject: Re: Europa-List: FK fairings...............input requested.
From: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw268@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 20:30:39
Thanks David,

We=92ll see how these FK fairings work out. I am not sure how the
Spitfire flap articulates, but I suspect it will be the same as these
fairings i.e. the flap retracts into the fairing such that it creates a
small clamshell at the root end of the flap when it is extended. The
drag I mention is with them deployed, and in combination with the lift
created from the flap outboard of this shadowed part, would mean that
the flap would have a lesser impact than a completely clean flap, but
not by much. Any increase in drag is better at the root of the wing, so
if lift is killed here, it shouldn=92t matter that much. Thats my view
sofar, and I have made them removable so that if I am not happy with the
collective wisdom to strap them on for the first flight, I won=92t. I
can fly it clean to start with, which would be the wisest and then
extend the flaps and check out the flight characteristics at altitude.
Like I said, I don=92t expect anything untoward, but I don=92t actually
know so am keen for the input.
Also, I have extended my wing closeouts so I don=92t have any gap more
than 3 mm between the side of the fuse and the wings, without fairings.
So, if I don=92t like the flight characteristics of these fairings I can
remove them, on the airfield, and go fly without any fairings aft of the
spar on the top of the wing. It looks good the way it is without
fairings, and if it wasn=92t for the fact that there is interference
drag in that area, what I have underneath the fairing is gross overkill
for a good outcome. Don=92t ask me why I did it, to cover it up with a
fairing, but hey, you get carried away from time to time, or I do.
Regards
Tony Renshaw

Here is a picture of the port one, untrimmed, in plan view. Weighs about
1 kg +/-

On 15 Feb 2014, at 6:54 pm, David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>
wrote:

<davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>

> Tony, don't believe you want more drag! It is as welcome as a hole in
the head! The major feature of the Europa is that it has low drag
aerodynamics, so gives great performance in terms of speed for given
horsepower or fuel usage. Admittedly slowing down a 'slippery' plane
needs a bit of forethought but certainly not extra drag. I suspect the
benefit of any change in the fairings will be aesthetic principally, as
Don Dykin knew a bit about aerodynamics. One thing is clear, however,
and that is that you should not have leaky joints allowing air to bleed
---From the hi pressure underneath the wing to the upper surface. If your
joints are not air tight then taping them like every glider does will
bring measurable performance benefits.
> Regards, David
>

> Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw268@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Gidday,
>> Some of you may recognise these beautiful fairings of Fred Kleins,
the Spitfire mod I call it. Freds instructions can be modified of
course, and I=92ve done that by keeping them complete as one piece, and
making them removable with a few minutes and a spanner. I am interested
in input on what people think of the aerodynamic impact of me doing it
this way though, whereas Fred kept the aerodynamic efficiency of the top
section of the fairing by splitting it such that half stays on the fuse,
half on wing an half on flap. This means that half the fairing
articulates as the flap does, which means it has half the impact. I
expect I will have less root lift obviously, and more drag, however I
hear that the aircraft needs more drag, so I=92ll certainly get that. I
have a little clamshell speed brake here, and possibly I might have a
greater load on my flaps due to the drag, but the air can also get under
the outer portion of the fairing and mightn=92t be too disturbed except
for the portion completely under the fairing. If I don=92t like this
setup, or decide to change it during the build, I can cut them to follow
FKs intent. Meanwhile I would like to request input from others. Thanks
>> Regards
>> Tony Renshaw
>> Sydney Aussie.
>> P.S. I am unsure if my photos will be embedded in the list bounced
emails. I don=92t get other people=92s photos, which is irritating, and
hope that others don=92t have this issue. P.S.S. or is it P.P.S. ?
Thank you for the responses regarding my battery location question.