Re: Europa-List: FK fairings...............input requested.

Subject: Re: Europa-List: FK fairings...............input requested.
From: David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 07:54:46

Tony, don't believe you want more drag! It is as welcome
as a hole in the head! The major feature of the Europa is
that it has low drag aerodynamics, so gives great
performance in terms of speed for given horsepower or fuel
usage. Admittedly slowing down a 'slippery' plane needs a
bit of forethought but certainly not extra drag. I suspect
the benefit of any change in the fairings will be
aesthetic principally, as Don Dykin knew a bit about
aerodynamics. One thing is clear, however, and that is
that you should not have leaky joints allowing air to
bleed from the hi pressure underneath the wing to the
upper surface. If your joints are not air tight then
taping them like every glider does will bring measurable
performance benefits.
Regards, David