Re: Europa-List: fuel tank selectors?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: fuel tank selectors?
From: Rowland Carson <rowlandcarson@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2013 17:08:18

On 4 Dec 2013, at 16:02, Sky Mail wrote:

> Hi Rowland - in your installation using metal fuel pipes instead of rubber
> hoses,
where are your fuel filters - aren't they installed between the tank and
the fuel selector when you use rubber hoses or have I misunderstood the build
manual?

Richard - sorry, I guess I should have explained that. After considerable
thought,
I've decided not to use the filters (as supplied in the kit and described
in the manual) between the tank and the selector. I understand other aircraft
have been cleared to fly with a similar arrangement to mine. (I think I've heard
that the prototype Europa fuel system originally used a single filter downstream
of the selector and this was only changed to separate ones because it could
block so easily.)

I'm using an Andair gascolator to be mounted under the baggage area near the
electric
fuel pump. It provides better filtering than the inline filters supplied
in the kits, but nonetheless is more resistant to blockage by debris. I
recognise
it presents a potential risk as a single point of failure, but in contrast
to the inline filters it offers easy checking (and particularly cleaning if
necessary) before every flight.

Another reason for discarding the supplied filters was that I couldn't find an
elegant way of interconnecting them with the aluminium piping.

in friendship

Rowland