Re: Europa-List: Re: Battery questions

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Battery questions
From: Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 21:01:46

Hi Alan,

The 914 requires higher pressure in the fuel bowl than the 912 due to the turbo.
The Rotax fuel pump can not supply sufficient pressure to force fuel into the
bowl.  The Rotax stock method of supplying the fuel is to use two electric
fuel pumps.  Either of which is capable of feeding the engine.  One to be
powered
---From the main buss the other to be powered from the battery.  So should the
main generator drop off, the second pump will be fed directly from the the
battery
giving you time to get the aircraft safely on the ground.

Personally, I didn't like the arrangement either.  I installed an engine driven
fuel pump from Billet ( billetpump.com &
http://www.billetpump.com/home2/pumps.html ).  Not cheap, but it sure does
work.  And my engine is no longer electrically dependent.  Obtaining a pump
from them can be a trial.  A couple years ago I tried to buy several pumps for
folks in Switzerland and France and gave up after 18 months of trying.  Kind of
crazy company to deal with but they produce excellent products if you can ever
get one.

I'd be happy to try them again should you or anyone else wish to acquire one of
the pumps.

If you go to http://www.europaowners.org/main.php?g2_itemId=78854 you can see
my pump and the work I went to for installation.  I believe that they have
refined the pump since then and installation can be much easier.

Blue skies & tailwinds,
Bob Borger
Europa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop.
Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX  76208-5331
Cel: 817-992-1117
rlborger@mac.com