Re: Europa-List: Re: wing lift/drag pins

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: wing lift/drag pins
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 22:29:43

On 06/28/2013 10:10 PM, Alan Carter wrote:

> What do you have to do, Ream out oversize holes in the spares bushes,
> to the size of the new pip pins, and do they come in a few different
> thicknesses
?

I would not ream out the spar bushes; imagine your next pin has a
slightly smaller diameter. Instead sand/polish the new pin a bit until
it fits.
But first of all, check whether the pin will fit in the various unrigged
parts. If it fits, then it is an alignment problem. And yes, you can
solve that problem as well but this involves some carefull realignment
of the bushes.

> And with regards to the front pin which locates the front of the wing into the
fuselage, I would say this pin wants to pull out, ie from drag on the wing,
why is there no pipe]pin here.

If I recall correctly the wings want to fold forewards, escpecially on
high AOA's. Furthermore, there is already a pip pin in the rear pin, and
the sockets are connected to each other via a bar. The front pin can
never fall out of its socket.
If you would put a pip pin in the front pin, you would tranfer the loads
of the fuselage onto the wing root, as the wing root is stiffer than the
fuselage. The fuselage is not designed to take sideway loads near the
front pin, there is no stifness there, so it could never offer any
stability to the wing.

Frans