Re: Europa-List: Re: Woodcomp or Airmaster Prop

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Woodcomp or Airmaster Prop
From: David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 21:38:19

Having said my bit several times before I hesitate to
repeat it, but here is a short version: firstly I have a
lot of friends using the Airmaster and they are happy with
it, and it is clear to me hat it s a good propeller. I
first became interested in the Woodcomp/Kremen as it then
was, when I saw Tom Justic with a 914/Woodcomp combination
appear to significantly out climb the Europa Company
914/Airmaster during the 2000 Europa Club fly out to
Prague
     I ended up buying a Woodcomp SR2000. This performed
well, but not I suspect any better than an Airmaster, and
indeed the blade characteristics wre fairly similar. There
were issues with the power of the pitch change motor
affecting the system reliability which I feel have been
largely addressed in the later SR3000 range. I changed to
an SR3000W prop when I was trying to optimise performance
with a view to flying to Australia. This has a blade twist
of around 26 degrees (compared with something of the order
of 12 degrees for the SR2000 and the Warp Drive blades),
which is what you need theoretically to fly at speeds in
the 90 to 160kt range -we were hoping to go to Australia
at 150kts cruising at 10,000ft. I did closely monitored
comparisons between my planes performance with he two
propellers. With the SR3000 the climb rate and fuel
consumption were slightly better. Top speed at various
heights was 4kts higher (equivalent to an extra 7 HP) but
most striking of all was that my cooling (which had always
been a problem) was totally transformed. I no longer
boiled if held up at the Rally waiting behind several
planes for take off, and for the first time I could do a
5min full power climb.
           So my message to anyone having persiistent
problems with 914/XS cooling is to get hold of a high
twist propeller. The explanation, which barely needs
stating is that with a low twist propeller the central
part of the prop is effectively in Beta mode at any speed
over 40kts and is diverting air away from the cooling
intakes.
     Regards, David Joyce, G-XSDJ