Re: Europa-List: Right mag drop and rought running on 914

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Right mag drop and rought running on 914
From: Jerry Rehn <rehn@rockisland.com>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 18:08:46

Bob
What you show for the ignition modules is correct for the 912, however the 914
is wired differently. The top module fires the top plugs and the bottom module
the bottom plugs.
I went through this last year and had to replace the top module, only two of the
top plugs failed on mine module so through a process of pulling wires on plugs
I was able to find it. I sent the suspect module in for testing and it confirmed
what I found. Switching the the two modules to see if the problem moves
is also a method to discover the issue.
Alan, hope you are able to isolate your issue, this stuff can drive one nuts!
Jerry

Sent from my iPad

On May 20, 2013, at 4:55 PM, Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com> wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>
> If it's all wired up and configured as per the installation manual (section
> 19.4.4
page 116):

> Ignition Module/Circuit A controls the top plugs of 1 & 2 and the bottom plugs
of 3 & 4

> Ignition Module/Circuit B controls the bottom plug of 1 & 2 and the top plugs
of 3 & 4

> There's probably a good reason for this arrangement, but if someone informed
me of said reason, I don't remember it.

> Blue skies & tailwinds,
> Bob Borger
> Europa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop.
> Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP
> 3705 Lynchburg Dr.
> Corinth, TX  76208-5331
> Cel: 817-992-1117
> rlborger@mac.com
>
> On May 20, 2013, at 3:59 PM, Alan Carter <alancarteresq@onetel.net> wrote:
>

> Hello ALL
> Well its less than a year ago I had this problem and ended up changing one of
the ignition coils and spending around 300 for parts.
> All I remember it was a sod of a job and I did not want to do it.
> I use to have a rotary mag/start switch but now have independent switching so
I can start on L,R,or Both.
> I have marked my left system Red, and my Right system Green
> but really did not mark enough of this sodding system.
> So can any one answer or check my progress.
> Starting the reverse way round. just me I find it easier doing things
> backwards.

> Top row of plugs (green), go to (2)ignition coils (green), then to the top
> module
(green), then to my RIGHT Mag switch (green)
> This is called ignition system A.
> Bottom row of plugs, (Red) yes you've got it (red/port/LEFT)Stb RIGHT is
> Green so much for the colour coding.
> Go to the (2) ignition coils (Red) then to the modules (Red) then to the
> LEFT mag switch (Red)
> This is ignition system B.
> Now having labelled it all up is it correctly ?? or does B do the top plugs,?

> I could pull of all the red top leads and select L and try to start and if it
does not start I have it correct, but been told not a good idea as may damage
modules.