Re: Europa-List: Re: Silicone Hoses for the Rotax 912 / 914

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Silicone Hoses for the Rotax 912 / 914
From: Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 09:21:04

Hi Alan,

1. You are welcome.  Yes, there were 8 hoses shipped, including the two hoses
for
the intercooler.  Some of these are cut to length for shorter hose.  The
intercooler
hoses must be cut to fit.  If you do not have an intercooler, you'll
jus have a single hose from the turbo to the airbox.

2. The silicone hose is virtually permanent and should never require
replacement.
The rubber are not more sturdy.  They will degrade over time and MUST be
replaced
on a regular basis.

3. The coolant hose require spring clips as the coolant fixtures to which the
hose
attach, expand and contract with the coolant temperature.  If you use a screw
clamp and tighten it fully when cold when the engine warms up, the fixture
expands and forces the hose into the screw clamp.  This causes eventual cutting
and failure of the hose.  If you adjust the screw clamp when the engine is
warm, then the fixture shrinks when it cools, it becomes loose and leaks.  The
spring clamps are constant tension clamps which account for the expansion and
contraction of the fittings keeping things properly tight.

4. Depends on what stage in the build.  I believe you are working on a
completed,
flying aircraft.  It will take you longer as you will have to do some
disassembly
to get at the hose fittings and then reassemble things after the hoses
have been replaced.  I'd bet that the disassembly/reassembly takes longer than
the actual hose replacement which is pretty quick, half hour to an hour maybe.
Since I'm not familiar with your aircraft and engine installation, I can only
make a very wild guess as to how long the disassembly/reassembly might take.
Probably you could accomplish the total task in 1 or 2 days if you are very
good with tools and have everything you need at hand.  Is there another
Europaphile
anywhere near you who has done this task and could assist you.  Probably
make things go a lot quicker.

5.  That was five years ago.  I do not remember.  Contact Stepahn Ingemarson,
he'll
give you a current quote.

For 605  $985, I'd check with Stephan.  If you are going to have to replace the
hoses anyway, why not do it right and go silicone.

Blue skies & tailwinds,
Bob Borger
Europa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop.
Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX  76208-5331
Cel: 817-992-1117
rlborger@mac.com