Re: Europa-List: Re: Contact detail & Help

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Contact detail & Help
From: GRAHAM SINGLETON <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 19:27:30
Hi David=0AYes it probably is, but it's at low speeds and high power on cli
mb out that the vibration is worst.-=0AWith multi blade props the problem
-isn't-as bad. I'm not good enough at maths to explain why=0Abut I am j
ust reiterating what Bruno Guimbal said years ago. He designed a very attra
ctive looking helicopter I once saw at-=0Athe RSA Rally years ago. He see
ms to have moved on, haven't heard anything for years. Very experienced aer
ospace engineer=0Awho built a Vari Eze around 1978 which he flew to Leicest
er when our rally was there in 1979 I think.=0AGraham=0A=0A=0A_____________
___________________=0A From: David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>=0ATo:
europa-list@matronics.com =0ASent: Tuesday, 26 June 2012, 18:35=0ASubject:
Re: Europa-List: Re: Contact detail & Help=0A =0A--> Europa-List message po
sted by: "David Joyce" <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>=0A=0AGraham, In my innoc
ence I thought that the plane was designed so that in normal cruise attitud
e the engine axis was horizontal and the blades at equal AOA=0ARegards, Dav
SINGLETON <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com> wrote:=0A> Karl=0A> 3 blades wil
l always be smoother because when the 2 blades are horizontal each blade se
es a-=0A> different-AoA,-especially-with high angles of attack. Thi
s causes different thrist on the blades resulting-=0A> in yawing oscillat
ion of the airplane.=0A> Graham=0A> =0A> =0A> _____________________________
___=0A> From: Karl Heindl <kheindl@msn.com>=0A> To: europa-list@matronics.c
om Sent: Tuesday, 26 June 2012, 14:57=0A> Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: Con
tact detail & Help=0A> =0A> =0A> =0A> Hi Frans,=0A> =0A> Thank you for the
additional information. I will follow your advice, but probably not until n
ext year.=0A> If you are going to publish in the flyer, then some good pict
ures please of the radiator installations.=0A> Also, a source for the rads.
=0A> =0A> You mentioned that the prop is not as smooth at lower rpm's. I ha
ve the same prop and I discovered a long time ago that the carbs need to be
 in sync 100% for a two-bladed prop. With three blades the carbs would need
 to be out of sync quite a bit before you would notice. I know, because I t
ried it by putting my original Warp Drive back on.=0A> =0A> Karl=0A> =0A>
=0A> =0A> =0A> =0A> =0A> =0A>> Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 23:09:34 +0200=0A>> F
rom: frans@privatepilots.nl=0A>> To: europa-list@matronics.com=0A>> Subject
: Re: Europa-List: Re: Contact detail & Help=0A>> =0A>> Hi Karl,=0A>> =0A>>
 > I have been following your developments with great interest and I think
=0A>> > that the end result is just plain amazing.=0A>> =0A>> Thanks!=0A>>
=0A>> > Now, top speed is very useful for testing drag improvements, but yo
u=0A>> > don't cruise at those speeds, do you ? When you are touring, what
are=0A>> > your preferred settings regarding speed, MP, rpm etc., and exact
ly what=0A>> > is your fuel consumption then.=0A>> =0A>> I found the sweet
spot of the aircraft is with 27 inch MAP, where it=0A>> usually cruises wit
h a speed somewhere between 120 and 130 KIAS,=0A>> depending on C of G and
some other obscure factors. Fuel consumption=0A>> used to be 16 to 17 liter
s per hour, but I have observed this year that=0A>> the fuel consumption ha
s increased to 18 liters per hour. Maybe the=0A>> carbs need an overhaul or
 so.=0A>> RPM is usually between 4800 and 5000 RPM, this feels best for the
=0A>> engine. I have a two blade prop and at lower RPM's it feels less smoo
th.=0A>> Of course actual settings depend on various circumstances. With a
strong=0A>> head wind we usually advance the throttle a bit, with a tail wi
nd we=0A>> enjoy the lower fuel consumption of a lower power setting. We fl
y 90% of=0A>> our cruising with power between 26 and 28 inch.=0A>> With hig
her power settings the fuel consumption goes up faster than the=0A>> gain i
n speed. Other than in a car, a higher speed doesn't give any=0A>> other fe
eling than a lower speed, it just gives the same sensation. One=0A>> hour f
lying is still one hour flying. On a 3-hour trip I rather enjoy an=0A>> add
itional 10 minutes flying and have a free meal than just cranking up=0A>> t
he fuel consumption, paying more for less fun. AVGAS can be close to 3=0A>>
 Euro's per liter over here, so saving 10 liters on a trip can save=0A>> en
ough money to have a dinner for two! ;-) I love telling friends that=0A>> f
lying there isn't more expensive than getting there by car.=0A>> =0A>> > If
 the rest of us mortals wanted to implement some of your changes=0A>> > wit
hout too much expense, what would you recommend ?=0A>> =0A>> There isn't mu
ch money involved actually. The radiator costs about 300=0A>> Euro's, the h
eat exchanger a bit less. You can do without the heat=0A>> exchanger, I hav
e been flying one summer with the stock oil radiator fed=0A>> by a 2" Scat
tube via a wedge diffuser. Apart from the long warm up time=0A>> it was qui
te an improvement over the tandem setup. Best thing to do is=0A>> to scrap
the stock coolant radiator, dog house, duct and associated=0A>> hardware an
d just install a thin radiator in a 45 degree angle in front=0A>> of the ex
haust and turbo.=0A>> =0A>> The main hurdle here is to shape a new undersid
e of the cowling. You=0A>> have to be brave enough to cut the dog house awa
y, and then insert a=0A>> block of blue foam and start cutting, rasping, sa
nding until you have=0A>> the shape you desire. Anyone who wants to make a
mold out of my cowling=0A>> is welcome to do so, provided I'm allowed to us
e that mold to make a new=0A>> light weight carbon cowling for myself. ;-)
=0A>> =0A>> BTW I'm not the only one who devised something like this. See t
he=0A>> attached picture. This is another configuration with a thin radiato
r in=0A>> a 45 degree angle, although it lacks a cowl flap and heat exchang
er for=0A>> the oil. (Oil is cooled by a radiator, fed by a NASA duct on th
e port=0A>> side, you can see it on the picture). Also this owner claims ve
ry good=0A>> results with his setup on his 914 engine. The key really is to
 use a=0A>> thin radiator and mount it at the belly so the "used" air can t
ake the=0A>> heat of the exhaust with it, and enjoy the benefits of a very
sleek=0A>> cowlng, excellent cooling, low pressure losses, and minimal cool
ing drag.=0A>> =0A>> Anyway, my cooling design is not an exclusive inventio
n of me but the=0A>> combination of ideas and experiments of multiple Europ
a owners who=0A>> believed that the cooling of the Europa could be improved
 other than by=0A>> using draggy brute force solutions.=0A>> =0A>> > What i
s the part number for the=0A>> > heat exchanger and exactly where did you i
nstall it ?=0A>> =0A>> See picture, taken from under the engine. The heat e
xchanger is mounted=0A>> behind the engine. This was the first setup, with
the stock coolant=0A>> radiator, hence the configuration of the coolant hos
es pointing=0A>> downwards. In the current design the hose routing has been
 changed to=0A>> accomodate for the thin belly radiator.=0A>> If you really
 want to go this way, contact me privately for more info.=0A>> One caveat t
hough: this heat exchanger has very thin canals and is not=0A>> compatible
with Evans coolant due to its viscosity. I use it with 50/50=0A>> without p
roblems.=0A>> =0A>> > It also had a very=0A>> > small (8AH?) battery.=0A>>
=0A>> I also have a small 8Ah battery, never needed anything more than that
.=0A>> But I have a second alternator (mounted on the vaccuum pad) so I don