Re: Europa-List: Re: Contact detail & Help

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Contact detail & Help
From: GRAHAM SINGLETON <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 16:37:01
Karl=0A3 blades will always be smoother because when the 2 blades are horiz
ontal each blade sees a-=0Adifferent-AoA,-especially-with high angl
es of attack. This causes different thrist on the blades resulting-=0Ain
yawing oscillation of the airplane.=0AGraham=0A=0A=0A______________________
__________=0A From: Karl Heindl <kheindl@msn.com>=0ATo: europa-list@matroni
cs.com =0ASent: Tuesday, 26 June 2012, 14:57=0ASubject: RE: Europa-List: Re
: Contact detail & Help=0A =0A=0A =0AHi Frans,=0A=0AThank you for the addit
ional information. I will follow your advice, but probably not until next y
ear.=0AIf you are going to publish in the flyer, then some good pictures pl
ease of the radiator installations.=0AAlso, a source for the rads.=0A=0AYou
 mentioned that the prop is not as smooth at lower rpm's. I have the same p
rop and I discovered a long time ago that the carbs need to be in sync 100%
 for a two-bladed prop. With three blades the carbs would need to be out of
 sync quite a bit before you would notice. I know, because I tried it by pu
tting my original Warp Drive back on.=0A=0AKarl=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A> Da
: europa-list@matronics.com=0A> Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Contact detai
l & Help=0A> =0A> Hi Karl,=0A> =0A> > I have been following your developmen
ts with great interest and I think=0A> > that the end result is just plain
amazing.=0A> =0A> Thanks!=0A> =0A> > Now, top speed is very useful for test
ing drag improvements, but you=0A> > don't cruise at those speeds, do you ?
 When you are touring, what are=0A> > your preferred settings regarding spe
ed, MP, rpm etc., and exactly what=0A> > is your fuel consumption then.=0A>
 =0A> I found the sweet spot of the aircraft is with 27 inch MAP, where it
=0A> usually cruises with a speed somewhere between 120 and 130 KIAS,=0A> d
epending on C of G and some other obscure factors. Fuel consumption=0A> use
d to be 16 to 17 liters per hour, but I have observed this year that=0A> th
e fuel consumption has increased to 18 liters per hour. Maybe the=0A> carbs
 need an overhaul or so.=0A> RPM is usually between 4800 and 5000 RPM, this
 feels best for the=0A> engine. I have a two blade prop and at lower RPM's
it feels less smooth.=0A> Of course actual settings depend on various circu
mstances. With a strong=0A> head wind we usually advance the throttle a bit
, with a tail wind we=0A> enjoy the lower fuel consumption of a lower power
 setting. We fly 90% of=0A> our cruising with power between 26 and 28 inch.
=0A> With higher power settings the fuel consumption goes up faster than th
e=0A> gain in speed. Other than in a car, a higher speed doesn't give any
=0A> other feeling than a lower speed, it just gives the same sensation. On
e=0A> hour flying is still one hour flying. On a 3-hour trip I rather enjoy
 an=0A> additional 10 minutes flying and have a free meal than just crankin
g up=0A> the fuel consumption, paying more for less fun. AVGAS can be close
 to 3=0A> Euro's per liter over here, so saving 10 liters on a trip can sav
e=0A> enough money to have a dinner for two! ;-) I love telling friends tha
t=0A> flying there isn't more expensive than getting there by car.=0A> =0A>
 > If the rest of us mortals wanted to implement some of your changes=0A> >
 without too much expense, what would you recommend ?=0A> =0A> There isn't
much money involved actually. The radiator costs about 300=0A> Euro's, the
heat exchanger a bit less. You can do without the heat=0A> exchanger, I hav
e been flying one summer with the stock oil radiator fed=0A> by a 2" Scat t
ube via a wedge diffuser. Apart from the long warm up time=0A> it was quite
 an improvement over the tandem setup. Best thing to do is=0A> to scrap the
 stock coolant radiator, dog house, duct and associated=0A> hardware and ju
st install a thin radiator in a 45 degree angle in front=0A> of the exhaust
 and turbo.=0A> =0A> The main hurdle here is to shape a new underside of th
e cowling. You=0A> have to be brave enough to cut the dog house away, and t
hen insert a=0A> block of blue foam and start cutting, rasping, sanding unt
il you have=0A> the shape you desire. Anyone who wants to make a mold out o
f my cowling=0A> is welcome to do so, provided I'm allowed to use that mold
 to make a new=0A> light weight carbon cowling for myself. ;-)=0A> =0A> BTW
 I'm not the only one who devised something like this. See the=0A> attached
 picture. This is another configuration with a thin radiator in=0A> a 45 de
gree angle, although it lacks a cowl flap and heat exchanger for=0A> the oi
l. (Oil is cooled by a radiator, fed by a NASA duct on the port=0A> side, y
ou can see it on the picture). Also this owner claims very good=0A> results
 with his setup on his 914 engine. The key really is to use a=0A> thin radi
ator and mount it at the belly so the "used" air can take the=0A> heat of t
he exhaust with it, and enjoy the benefits of a very sleek=0A> cowlng, exce
llent cooling, low pressure losses, and minimal cooling drag.=0A> =0A> Anyw
ay, my cooling design is not an exclusive invention of me but the=0A> combi
nation of ideas and experiments of multiple Europa owners who=0A> believed
that the cooling of the Europa could be improved other than by=0A> using dr
aggy brute force solutions.=0A> =0A> > What is the part number for the=0A>
> heat exchanger and exactly where did you install it ?=0A> =0A> See pictur
e, taken from under the engine. The heat exchanger is mounted=0A> behind th
e engine. This was the first setup, with the stock coolant=0A> radiator, he
nce the configuration of the coolant hoses pointing=0A> downwards. In the c
urrent design the hose routing has been changed to=0A> accomodate for the t
hin belly radiator.=0A> If you really want to go this way, contact me priva
tely for more info.=0A> One caveat though: this heat exchanger has very thi
n canals and is not=0A> compatible with Evans coolant due to its viscosity.
 I use it with 50/50=0A> without problems.=0A> =0A> > It also had a very=0A
> > small (8AH?) battery.=0A> =0A> I also have a small 8Ah battery, never n
eeded anything more than that.=0A> But I have a second alternator (mounted
on the vaccuum pad) so I don't=0A> need the battery as a backup during flig
=====