Re: Europa-List: Tank Leak Found

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Tank Leak Found
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 15:38:21

On Jul 14, 2009, at 2:43 PM, JEFF ROBERTS wrote:

> I believe I'm going to pro seal the crack and use the patch idea.
> Maybe before I replace the tank in the future the new Europa will
> come up with an alternitive plan for doing this or a new tank.

Best of luck to you Jeff...

This thread prompts me to review my build log photos, and I'm noticing
that I extended Layup #2 all the way to the bottom corners of the tank
in hopes of preventing a stress concentration where the #2 layup ends
as shown in Fig. 5 of chapter 16 in the manual. I thank Ron Pagoris
for that tip, and I also plan to add the foam and bond-break sheet
between the bottom of the tank and fuselage in order that the tank
have uniform support across its bottom

At this point of course, I regret having bonded all the FG support
tapes directly to the tank and not allowing the tank to "float" on the
support tapes, but I'm hoping that I'll be able to dodge the bullet
which has caught Jeff and others. What I truly regret is hearing that
little voice which questioned the notion of rigidly bonding in the
tank...promptly ignoring it...and essentially going by the book.

Fred
A194

--
believed to be clean.