Europa-List: Tank Leak Found

Subject: Europa-List: Tank Leak Found
From: JEFF ROBERTS <jeff@rmmm.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 13:14:44
To All that responded... THANKS!
After applying pressure to the tank and using a water soap mixture I
have located a 2 inch crack in the tank running diagonal from the
corner of the glass lay-up in the tunnel. Its where the glass is bonded
onto the tank to hold it in. It looks like a stress crack as the non
giving glass may have pulled on the tank as it flexed. I'm now in
agreement with Steve in that these tanks should not be glassed in but
rather fitted in a way that allows some movement. Okay too late for me
now... It is however in an area that I can reach it to repair it either
using pro-seal or the tap plastics product.

1. I used the messy pro seal to seal my sender unit in the top of the
tank a few years back and it works well. I'm concerned about not being
able to compress a patch around it or over it though. Maybe once it
sets up thats not necessary. ???
2. The video on the Tap plastics Polyweld Greg sent sounds like a
better way to go as a permanent patch. This one though may require me
to cut an additional hole behind the access hole and then repair that
later. BUT... how do I make sure all the fumes are out of the tank
after draining it so I don't blow myself up :o( trying to flame treat
the to be repaired area on the tank. Maybe continuing to pump air into
the tank and allow the fumes to eventually evaporate thru the filler
cap. Any other Ideas to help me avoid burning off any facial hairs are
welcome.

Best regards and thanks to all!!

Jeff R.
A258 - N128LJ / Gold Rush 191 hours and down for repairs.