Re: Europa-List: Fuel Tank Leak

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fuel Tank Leak
From: Graham Singleton <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 08:21:17

JEFF ROBERTS wrote:

> Okay, After some closer inspection it appears the fuel may be coming
> out of the side of the tunnel area about 4 inches from the bottom of
> the tank right where I bonded a nylon tab with the old re-dux during
> the build to hold a cable. Is it possible that could have weakened the
> tank in that spot and it's taken a few years for it to come thru.
> Graham... maybe there was something in the molding of the tank like
> you said that created a spot leak.
> I will check it tomorrow with about 5 psi of air pressure and some
> soap water on the spot, but here is a question.
> If it is a spot leak and I can patch it what would be the best patch
> to use?
> Any thoughts would be appreciated. I don't want to gut her if I don't
> have to!!!! ;o((
> Jeff R.
> A258 - N128LJ / Gold Rush 191 hours and climbing slowly.
Jeff
I would start by trying a weld. Use a warm soldering iron or similar.
You need some scrap polyethylene for welding rod , not so easy unless
you have any bits you cut from the tank? Practice on a piece of scrap
first of course is a good plan.
Anyone have a disc they cut out of the top for a fuel gauge?
I don't know anything that would bond to polyethylene. Do you know of
anything Bud? Some car maintenance people used to weld damaged car
bumpers, you could ask their advice if you can find one. Not quite the
same material though.
Graham