Re: Europa-List: Fuel Tank Leak

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fuel Tank Leak
From: Graham Singleton <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 00:05:38

JEFF ROBERTS wrote:
> We'll after seeing my fuel run onto the floor today after I added 5
> gallons I started to search for a leak. I'm now becoming painfully
> aware of the fact that it looks like my tank has ruptured somewhere.
> It's looking like around where the tank was glassed onto the cockpit
> module in the port rear inside portion of the tunnel. I can't remember
> where the seams of the tank are but there must be one back there. Has
> anyone else experienced this leak there?
> I remember some talk of someone making an aluminum version. Has that
> been done anywhere that one might buy a duplicate?
> Looks like some major surgery coming up. :o(
> If anyone has a tank in the states I may be interested.
>
> Jeff R.
Jeff
there aren't any seams in the tank, it's rotomolded. A steel mould is
heated and plastic granules poured in as it rotates. Not a very precise
procedure but it usually works. I once saw a leaking tank, there was a
sliver of tobacco moulded into the tank. Obviously fell in during the
moulding process.
Graham