RE: Europa-List: 914 Waste gate servo mounting position question

Subject: RE: Europa-List: 914 Waste gate servo mounting position question
From: Terry Seaver terrys <terrys@cisco.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 14:07:53
Hi Mike,

Our cooling problem was temps reaching 450 deg F in the lower engine
cowl, near the exhaust.  The heat melted tie wraps into drops of nylon,
took the temper out of the springs holding the exhaust on, and caused
damage to the cowl itself.  We first found that the gills were allowing
air to escape without cooling much of anything.  After closing them off,
we found that the cooling air was coming in the upper inlets, crossing
across the top of the engine and then going down the back of the engine,
between the foot wells, bypassing the cylinders and the exhaust area.
Closing off the area behind the engine, between the foot wells, forced
the air to act like it does in a conventional air cooled installation.
It forced the air to pass around the cylinders, top to bottom, and then
to pass around the exhaust, before exiting the lower, rear, of the cowl.

After the two changes mentioned above, the max in-cowl temps dropped to
250 deg F, and our oil temp in the climb dropped 20 deg F, from 240 deg
F  to 220 deg F (100 deg F ambient at 12,000+ feet density altitude).

The key to our changes was to treat the engine as you would an air
cooled aircraft engine (the Rotax cylinders are, after all, air cooled).
Bring air into the top of the cowl, force it down around the cylinders
with ducting/baffles, past the exhaust, to finally exit the lower rear
of the cowl.

After making these changes we carefully monitored the temps at the top
of the cowl, near the ignition and carbs, to make sure we had not
negatively affected their cooling.  Those temps remained barely above
ambient, only a few degrees different than before.

Regards,

Terry